Maldives Travel Awards 2017 celebrates the best of Maldives’ tourism industry
Maldives Association of Travel Agents and Tour Operators (MATATO) has celebrated the best of Maldives’ tourism industry at the MATATO Maldives Travel Awards Gala 2017. The Maldives Travel Awards Gala was held at Adhaaran Select Hudhuranfushi, attended by tourism industry stakeholders, professionals, dignitaries and media.
The event saw the presenting of 27 awards; where 430 nominations in the resorts, airlines and liveaboards sectors competed for the awards. The nominees were selected with over 100,000 votes that were made online and via SMS, as the awards were determined from 60% votes and 40% of TripAdvisor reviews, according to MATATO.
The event was also honoured by the presence of Azleen Ahmed, the Minister of Home Affairs, former Vice President Mohamed Waheed Deen, and Urvashi Rautela, Miss Teen India 2009, according to the organiser.
Local and International brands were honoured at the ceremony. See the full list of the winners below;
- Leading Food and Beverage Outlet: Le 1947 Cheval Blanc Randheli
- Leading Food and Beverage Resort: One&Only Reethi Rah and Amilla Fushi
- Leading Low-Cost Carrier: AirAsia
- Leading Local Carrier: Maldivian
- Leading International Carrier: Singapore Airlines
- Leading Airport and City Hotel: Equator Village
- Leading Business Hotel: Hotel Jen
- Leading Liveaboard: Horizon 3
- Leading Liveaboard Brand: Voyages Maldives
- Leading Dive/Water Sports Centre: Paradise Island Resort & Spa
- Leading Surf Resort: Adhaaran Select Hudhuranfushi
- Leading Dive Resort: Angaga Island Resort & Spa and Kuredu Island Resort & Spa
- Leading Local Hotel and Resort Brand: Crown & Champa Resorts
- Leading International Hotel and Resort Brand: Anantara Hotels & Resorts
- Leading CSR Programme: Adhaaran Select Meedhupparu and Six Senses Laamu
- Leading Human Resources Management: One&Only Reethi Rah
- Leading Wellness and Spa Brand: Duniye Spa
- Leading Wellness and Spa Resort: The Sun Siyam Iru Fushi
- Leading Beach Resort: Velaa Private Island
- Leading Eco Resort: Soneva Fushi and Sun Island Resort & Spa
- Leading Meeting and Conference Resort: Bandos Maldives
- Leading All-Inclusive Resort: Adhaaran Prestige Water Villas
- Leading Family Resort: One&Only Reethi Rah
- Leading Designer Resort: Soneva Jani
- Leading Private Island: Naladhu Private Island
- Most Romantic Resort: Huvafen Fushi
- Leading Luxury Resort: Cheval Blanc Randheli
MATATO also honoured special areas in tourism development and sustainability. And the winners are;
- Newcomer of the Year: Kandima Maldives
- Most Supportive Resort: Adhaaran Select Hudhuranfushi
- Outstanding Commitment to Sustainability: Crown & Champa Resorts
- Lifetime Achievement in Service: Velana International Airport
- Lifetime Achievement in Service for Tourism Development: Mohamed Waheed Deen
First launched in 2012, Maldives Travel Awards celebrates its sixth anniversary this year. The awards initiated with 20 categories in the year 2012 and now have expanded to three editions with a total of 55 categories.
MATATO introduced three award categories this year – the People’s Edition, Guesthouse Edition and Grand Gala. The People’s Edition was hosted at Adhaaran Select Hudhuranfushi on July 13 where ten individuals were recognised for their contributions to the development of the country’s tourism industry. The Guesthouse Edition held in Maafushi Island on October 30, awarded guesthouses and their extensive performance within the sector.