Soneva Jani bags Best Over-The-Top Luxury award by Jetsetter
Soneva’s newest property, Soneva Jani, has been named the winner of the Best Over-The-Top Luxury category in the 2017 Jetsetter Best of the Best Hotel Awards. The primarily overwater resort is where the Soneva story continues, and comprises 24 water villas and one island villa situated in a 5.6km lagoon, one of the largest in the Maldives.
Jetsetter, a TripAdvisor Company, provides insider deals, unique experiences and thoughtful insights to its more than 23 million members, allowing them to book with ease and confidence. From hotels to tours to trip planning, Jetsetter is designed to match discerning travelers with their ideal travel experience.
Naming Soneva Jani as the winner in the Best Over-The-Top Luxury category, Jetsetter noted that 2016 had been a smash-hit for the Maldives, welcoming a clutch of high-profile new properties including a Four Seasons and a St. Regis over the year. It went on to note that all eyes were on Soneva Jani, which had “reinvented luxury in a place known for luxury”.
Located on the island of Medhufaru in a 5.6 km lagoon in the Noonu Atoll, Soneva Jani features both overwater and island villas. Each water villa opens to its very own stretch of the lagoon and is complete with a private pool and a retractable roof to stargaze from the master bedroom. Some of the villas have slides from the top floor directly into the lagoon below.
The St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort, Starwood Hotels & Resorts’ newest property in the Maldives, came in second in the Best Over-The-Top Luxury category. Located in Dhaalu Atoll, the resort redefines “barefoot luxury”, offering 33 on-land villas and 44 over-water villas with private pools and a personal St. Regis Butler service.
According to Jetsetter, “deciding this year’s Best of the Best Awards was our hardest yet”. The winners were hand-chosen by Jetsetter editors according to their merit, and in no way influence, pay for, or receive compensation for, the final results, it said. The 22 winners are;
- Best Big City Sleep – The Beekman, a Thompson Hotel, New York
- Best Style Steal – Amastan Paris
- Best Boutique – The Dewberry, Charleston
- Best For Romance – Six Senses Zil Pasyon, Seychelles
- Best Design – Il Sereno Lago di Como, Italy
- Best Game-Changer – The Asbury Hotel, New Jersey
- Best On The Beach – Le Barthélemy, St. Barts
- Best All-Inclusive – Grand Velas Los Cabos, Mexico
- Best Over-The-Top Luxury – Soneva Jani, Maldives
- Best-Looking Guests – 11 Howard, New York
- Best Nightlife – Ace Hotel New Orleans
- Best Pool Scene – Csa Cook Rhodes, Greece
13. Best Comeback – Pulitzer Amsterdam
14. Best Safari Lodge – andBeyond Matetsi River Lodge, Zimbabwe
15. Best Business-Meets-Pleasure – The Peninsula Beijing
16. Best For Communing With Nature – Nekupe, Nicaragua
17. Best For Wellness – Amanemu, Japan
18. Best Far-Flung Escape – Anantara Al Jabal Al Akhdar, Oman
19. Best Grounds – Leeu Estates, South Africa
20. Best For Food – Coombeshead Farm, England
21. Best For Families – Four Seasons Resort Lanai, Hawaii
22. Audience Favorite – PUBLIC Chicago