Medicine Scholarship in Memory of Dr. Ibrahim Umar Maniku
The Universal Foundation has announced a special memorial scholarship opportunity for Maldivians wishing to study medicine in honour of the late Dr. Ibrahim Umar Maniku. The scholarship is open to Maldivian nationals who wish to study at any medical university in the UK, aiming to equip Maldivian doctors with specialized skill sets in areas that are in high demand.
Dr. Ibrahim Maniku completed his MBBS at the University of Leipzig, Germany. He went on to specialize in anesthesiology at the Universitätsklinikum in Halle. Dr. Maniku was the first Maldivian anesthesiologist at Malé Central Hospital and worked to modernize the anesthesiology department by coordinating donations of modern equipment.
Dr. Maniku also played a key role in the development of the Maldives tourism industry. He was one of the first Maldivians to bring international joint ventures to the country to enhance the tourism industry. In 1989, Dr. Maniku established the Malé Aerated Water Company, the first bottling plant to introduce carbonated beverages to the country.
Criteria for Scholarship in Memory of Dr. Ibrahim Umar Maniku
The deadline for the application is 30th June 2023.
- Must be a Maldivian.
- The study programme must be in the field of medicine.
- The study programme must be Post Graduate level (Specialization).
- The University that offers the study programme must be within the United Kingdom.
- Must have obtained a letter confirming the University placement.
- The candidate must meet the UK student visa requirements.
- The applicant must have completed MBBS.
- The applicant must have worked in Maldives for at least two years after MBBS.
- Among the applicants, preference will be given to the candidate who chose to study a medical specialization, which is a skill shortage area in the Maldives.
- Must pass a selection interview.
- Must work in the Maldives after the programme based on the agreement.
Since 2014, the Universal Foundation has granted over 204 scholarships, including 51 scholarships in the field of medicine. The Universal Foundation works directly and in partnership with both private and public organizations to develop and fund programs which will assist in providing opportunities for Maldivians and in addressing the humanitarian and human growth needs of the nation.